- This event has passed.
INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL UNION (IGU), 34th INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL CONGRESS – ‘GEOGRAPHY: BRIDGING THE CONTINENTS’
August 16, 2021 - August 20, 2021
34th INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHICAL CONGRESS
Geography: bridging the continents
Istanbul, Turkey, 16-20 August 2021
IGU Congress website: http://www.igc2020.org/en/
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The IGU 34th International Geographical Congress, due to be held in August 2020, was postponed to August 2021. Papers accepted in 2020 were transferred to the 2021 program. The IGU Commission on Geography of Governance (IGU-CGoG) organizes 8 sessions (see here: https://www.igc2020.org/en/GEOGRAPHY-OF-GOVERNANCE.html ).
The Congress Organization opened the possibility for new sessions on the impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic. The IGU Commission on Geography of Governance proposed and organizes the following session: “LOCAL GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TOWARDS COVID-19 PANDEMIC”.
The Call for Abstracts for this session on the COVID-19 Pandemic in the IGU 34th International Geographical Congress is now open.
- Deadline for abstract papers and posters submission: 11 January 2021
- Notification of acceptance: 8 February 2021
- Early bird registration deadline: 5 April 2021
- Authors’ registration deadline: 5 April 2021
- Regular registration – 06 April – 21 June 2021
- Late & On-site registration – 22 June – 20 August 2021
LOCAL GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TOWARDS COVID-19 PANDEMIC
We invite you to submit an abstract to the session – “LOCAL GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TOWARDS COVID-19 PANDEMIC” – https://www.igc2020.org/en/LOCAL-GOVERNMENT-RESPONSE-TOWARDS-COVID-19-PANDEMIC.html
The session ‘Local Government Response Towards Covid-19 Pandemic’ aims to examine and to discuss strategies, plans, policy measures, and actions taken by local government towards the COVID-19 pandemic, around the world, its outcomes and impacts, as well as lessons for the future.
Among other issues, the session aims to address the following:
- Strategies, plans, policy measures, and actions adopted by local government to control and shape the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic locally;
- Strategies, plans, policy measures, and actions adopted by local government to tackle the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on health, on society and on the local economy;
- Strategies, plans, policy measures, and actions employed by local government to distribute resources and care among local populations;
- Cooperation with local community organizations and citizen initiatives during the pandemic;
- Relationship between local government strategies, plans, policy measures, and actions towards COVID-19 pandemic and public behaviour;
- Effectiveness of local government strategies, plans, policy measures, and actions, taken in different countries , in the reduction of the local spread of COVID-19;
- Changes in central-local relations (decentralization / re-centralization);
- Innovations in multi-level governance to tackle more effectively the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Role of inter-municipal cooperation and metropolitan government in this context;
- Cross-border municipal and regional cooperation during the pandemic;
- Local government strategies, plans, policy measures, and actions for the post COVID-19 crisis;
- Lessons for the future governance of cities and other human settlements learnt from this pandemic.
This session is associated with the action plan developed by the IGU Commission on Geography of Governance – ‘IGU-CGoG COVID-19 Action Plan’ (for more information, see the commission website: https://sites.google.com/view/igucgog-covid19/home).
It is expected that a selection of this session papers will be published.
Congress website: https://www.igc2020.org/en/default.asp
Session link: https://www.igc2020.org/en/LOCAL-GOVERNMENT-RESPONSE-TOWARDS-COVID-19-PANDEMIC.html
To submit your abstract for an oral contribution to this session, please follow the guidelines available in the website of the 34th International Geographical Congress:
IGU-CGoG SESSIONS IN THE 34th GEOGRAPHICAL CONGRESS
With this session on Covid-19 Pandemic, the IGU Commission on Geography of Governance organizes 9 sessions in the 34th Geographical Congress in 2021:
SESSION 1. CITIZEN PARTICIPATION IN URBAN GOVERNANCE: FORMAL AND INFORMAL COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT POLICIES
SESSION 2. CLIMATE POLICY AND LOCAL GOVERNANCE
SESSION 3. INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION OF LOCAL AND REGIONAL AUTHORITIES
SESSION 4. LOCAL GOVERNMENT REFORMS: DECENTRALIZATION V. CENTRALIZATION
SESSION 5. METROPOLITAN GOVERNANCE: TRENDS, MODELS, CHALLENGES
SESSION 6. MIGRANTS AND REFUGEES DEMOCRATIC RIGHTS IN LOCAL GOVERNANCE
SESSION 7. SHRINKING CITIES, EXPANDING METROPOLISES, DE POPULATED VILLAGES: THE GOVERNANCE RESPONSES
SESSION 8. SPATIAL JUSTICE AND THE RIGHT TO THE CITY: THE ROLE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
SESSION 9. (NEW) . LOCAL GOVERNMENT RESPONSE TOWARDS COVID-19 PANDEMIC
For additional information, contact:
Carlos Nunes Silva
Institute of Geography and Spatial Planning, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Chair of the IGU Commission on Geography of Governance
E-mail: email@example.com •firstname.lastname@example.org