University of Free State (UFS)
The Urban and Regional Planning Department was incepted in 1979 and offers postgraduate studies in the following fields:
- Bachelor of Spatial Planning Honours*
- Bachelor of Spatial Planning Honours with specialisation in Human Settlements
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning (for Professional registration)*
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning (by research)
- Master of Human Settlements (by research)
- Doctor of Philosophy with specialisation in Human Settlements
- Doctor of Philosophy with specialisation in Urban and Regional planning
* Our Bachelor of Spatial Planning Honours and the Master of Urban and Regional Planning (for professional registration) are jointly accredited by the South African Council for Planners. This means that graduates with the Honours in Spatial Planning and the Master of Urban and Regional Planning (for professional registration) can register as professional planners once they have sufficient practical experience.
The closing date for Honours applications is 30 September prior to the intended year of registration. The admission requirements for the Honours programmes are an appropriate qualification at NQF Level 7 (a SAQA certificate must accompany the qualification when requested), as approved by the academic programme director and an average of at least 60% in previous qualifications. Applicants have to write selection tests if they are considered suitable for selection. These tests will be conducted online at a pre-arranged time and date.
The current programmes with course work are offered in a block week format with students attending block weeks on the Bloemfontein campus. During these block weeks students attend classes at the department where teaching and evaluation occurs. The current format of the programmes attracts not only South African students from all over the country, but also students from neighbouring countries who can constitute up to 30% of the enrolments for any one year.
The Department, through these programmes, plays a pivotal role in addressing the educational wrongs of the past by empowering students from all backgrounds, enabling them to further their studies while they are still employed and taking care of their families and communities.
The link to the department is: www.ufs.ac.za/urp
List of SACPLAN accredited planning qualifications currently being offered:
|Qualification||SACPLAN Registration Category||Notes|
|Master in Urban and Regional Planning
|Professional Planner||Must have completed the B Hons in Spatial Planning|